Sunday, February 3, 2008

I think I need a nap, but I have lots to say.

I had a custom photo pendant to do for today which I had forgotten about this week so I ended up working on it last night. I generally like to make these at least a few days in advance of the deadline so that if something doesn't quite work out, I have time to try again. Well, of course something had to go wrong.

Rule #1 with custom photo pendant work: Once the photo has been scanned and adjusted, and then printed on the transfer medium, check it again against the original photo since differences in computer screens and printers can result in very different colours. I didn't do this and went through the whole process of transferring it onto liquid clay and then making it into a pendant... only to check at the end of all that and realize that the lovely little red-headed girl that I had been staring at throughout the pendant making, is actually blond. Hello.

That realization came at around 1:30am this morning, so I had to start all over again. Readjust colour, print, transfer, make the pendant, varnish. This time all seemed fine and I made a few other pendants since I was wide awake from stress. Off to bed at 4:30am.

Up at 8:30 to find an air bubble that had formed in the four short hours I was sleeping. Air bubbles are not my friends. My attempt at fixing it resulted in a disaster... and yes, I had to start over again. But the final version looks good! Moving on.

I also finished some custom bracelets that accompany these pendants I made for four little girls a few weeks back. The bracelets are for their moms who are the BEST of best friends; the mini birdies represent the moms and the hearts are for their four girls (they each have two daughters who are like sisters). The birds and textured hearts are made with Kato polyclay in my handmixed colours. You can click here to see the girls' pendants, if you like.

As for the girls' necklaces, the bracelets' message hold true: a friend is never far away.

YesterdayI didn't write yesterday. Not sure how much snow we got, but must've been close to 30cm. Friday night was terrible, with ice pellets (ouch) and lots of wind (ouch). Here is a car just outside our front door.

I really wanted molasses cookies when we got back from taiko practice yesterday afternoon. No, I shouldn't be eating such yummies all the time (last week it was these brownies), but I figure if I want something sweet, I'll go for homemade anyday. My mom was a supreme baker so we were always spoiled with freshly baked stuff at home ♥♥♥

These aren't as molasses-y as some, but they are definitely yummy. Soft and chewy on the inside with a nice sugar crunch on top. Harmony of textures.

You'd like to try them? Here you go! Really easy and reeeeealllllly yummy. There are many recipes for these on the internet, but here's my version, should you ever be in the mood ☺

Soft Molasses Cookies
Makes approx. 36 cookies , 350 degrees
1 cup Crisco shortening
2/3 cup white sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup molasses
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/4 tsp baking soda
2 1/4 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp cloves

In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until fluffy. Beat in molasses and eggs. In another bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, ginger, cloves and cinnamon. Blend thoroughly with wire whisk. Gradually mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients until dough is blended and smooth. Roll dough into balls and flatten slightly. Dip tops in granulated sugar; place around 1.5" apart on lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350° for 11 minutes, or until puffed up. Cool on wire rack. Eat immediately for maximum comfort and enjoyment.

I think I'll go for a little snooze now.


Anonymous said...

Now that's the kind of weather I remember in Montreal!
Now that you have gotten back into the blogging mode, there's no keeping you down!!!! Thanks for sharing your days...

tatsuko said...

Thanks ☺ ... trying to figure out who you are...!