Friday, May 18, 2007

Are we there yet?

Summer hasn't even started yet and I know it's going to whiz by.

Arashi Daiko, the taiko group I'm a member of, has performances booked for most week-ends in June,July and August. Many of us in the group have flexible work schedules so we also have several shows to do on weekdays as well. August 9-12th is the North American Taiko Conference, taking place this year in Seattle, WA, and many of us are attending. My husband and I will be there, yay! What could be better than 600 enthusiastic taiko drummers getting together ?

I've also started dragon boating again. Originating in China, a dragon boat is a long canoe-shaped boat which seats 22 people who paddle in unison using all their power and guts. We have a tough coach, but he's good. It feels surprisingly good to be paddling again; I've actually missed it. Our team is great; I know many of us are there in the original spirit of the team: to work hard and push our limits, all in loving memory of a friend and team founder, who passed away last year. We will do our absolute best to honour him at the races at the end of July :)

Before going to the taiko conference in August, I'll be in Vancouver for the Powell Street Festival, Canada's largest Japanese-Canadian festival. I've been wanting to go for years, and this time around I will be an artisan vendor. I'm so excited! My parents were both from Vancouver (well, in and around Vancouver), where many Japanese Canadians lived before World War Two, so it's always a special place to be. I'll also visit two of my brothers and their families while in British Columbia. Can't wait!

Since I'll be selling away from home at Powell Street, I'll have to figure out what kind of a display to set up. My usual display is not terribly complicated, but I can't drag everything along with me, especially since I'm going to the taiko conference afterwards. I have time to think of something on a smaller scale - gotta get to work on that!

For this festival I'll be bringing along my Japanese inspired pieces, like my sushi jewellery and these: *** Hmmm, Blogger is not allowing me to upload any photos for some reason, so I'll do that another time. Be sure to check back :)

Have a good week-end!

No comments: